Thursday, October 8, 2009

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U Know your TV and install area before you buy

I've read many reviews complaining about this TV yet it seems the majority of these people would've been better off had they done some research prior to purchasing a Plasma vs. an LCD. First, my review of this TV: This Panasonic is one of the best Plasma's I have seen. I won't bore you by restating the specs that you can read in the details of the listing but trust me when I say that the picture is absolutely beautiful. So why trust me? I've owned HD TVs since 2003 and have kept up with current models, always planning my next purchase. My first was an LCD. While the detail and colors were fantastic compared to SD, the lack of ability to show motion clearly was aggravating. After much research my next purchase was a Panasonic 720 two years ago. While the black levels, contrasts and motion ability were far superior to the LCDs I looked into, including my own, the reflective glass panel was irritating as I had the TV in a room with a lot of light. (Finding the best seating position was essential.) After yet more research, and a need for yet another TV in a room that previously contained a 13 yr. old 32" Sony that went out, I decided on this TV. The Panasonic brand of Plasma, 720 or 1080, is by far the best TV you can buy for the price. They are close to the quality to the Pioneers that will run you 50%-70% more. This particular Panasonic Plasma does a much better job at not reflecting light but there still is some reflection. I can say, however, that it reflects less than any of my old tube TVs. Now for the skinny on Plasma vs. LCD: It's very simple, Plasmas will give you the better picture but will reflect more light. LCDs do a great job of not reflecting light but are poor on motion...even the 120Hz refresh rate LCDs. Before you invest in either, make sure you know what you're buying and where you're going to be placing the TV. It will save you much frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment